[Gvsig_english] Creating density raster/isolines out of point layer

davk davkprivat at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 3 20:22:43 CEST 2008

Hi,

thanks a lot Benjamin. That helped me a lot, it worked well with some sample
data!
Unfortunately I got points covering a huge area in Gauss-Krüger
projection.(~200x200km²) If I want to start the kernel density calculation
and choose "layer extent", a window pops up and tells me, that the extent is
probably too large, and my PC cant suite this probably. If I want my PC to
do this anyhow, it isn't even really starting calculating. But with the
sample data it worked, and created 1 Cell / 50m². Do you have any idea how I
could manage this?
In addition to that, I unfortunately have another problem: I want to convert
the raster density map into polygones indicating the density for putting it
on another DEM raster layer. If I would put the density map on the DEM
raster map, I have to work with transperency, because even the areas wie
minimal density would be shown, no? So is it possible to convert the density
raster map into polylines first, then delete the polylines which I'm not
interested in beeing shown(the minimal density "white space"), and then
convert the remaining isolines into polygones and filling it with colors
equivalent to their density value. This is sounding very complex, i know.
But can I realize it by combining some tools from S EXTANTE?
Anyway thanks a lot for your answer Benjamin.

greetings davk