[Gvsig_english] unable to open an existing project

christian Brandt chrisbrandt74 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 6 21:42:39 CEST 2008

Dear list,

you're right that the file is empty but the question is why the file got empty.

Sometimes gvsig takes very very long time to save a project (of course also depending on the data quantity within the project), so if gvsig stocks e.g. due to other applications with higher volume (or priority) you have two possibilities: either finishing other applications and waiting (maybe 5 minutes but maybe also half an hour) just in hope that gvsig comes back or to stop gvsig by task manager. The last <hard> option seems to produce those empty gvsig files as I've learned now (how can this happen!?).

As we know that any computer system can stock anytime a backup system is absolutly necessary.  So far I didn't find a note within the manual about backups.
Advanced gvsig user will know to make backup copies from their projects, but beginners will get badly surprised. Hence until the planned backup system starts there should be an appropriate note within the manual or on gvsig download page.

Regards

Christian