[Gvsig_english] Again: high-quality printing: support of the development

Wolfgang Qual Wolfgang.Qual at gmx.net
Tue Oct 14 15:41:57 CEST 2008

Dear list,
some months ago, we had an interesting discussion about gvSIG and high-quality printing [1]. For our office, creation of high-quality prints or print files is important. One project of our Department is a cycle map which is printed by an external printing office. Therefore, a special pre-press file (pdf/x-3 or similar) is needed. Currently, this job is done using ArcGIS --> eps-Export and Acrobat Distiller to create such a file, but as we really would like to switch to FOSS, we would like to be able to do that in gvSIG.
However, at the moment, quality of ps/pdf output in gvSIG is limited and/or buggy. For example,
* not all symbology information is written to ps/pdf
* gvSIG seems to have problems with large files (ok this might be solve with lots of RAM)
* additional options for export are missing (resolution etc.)
* eps-file export is not possible
* other export formats, such as tiff.

Curently, exporting the layout to image files is limited (formats and problems with large files [2]. Whereas a solution of-a-piece (create a ready-to-print pdf/x-file) would be very cool, there is still a possibility to do the pre-press in other applications like scribus or (thanks for the hint, Marcel) sk1 which are both open source products. However, both applications might still be unstable (scribus and large files? sk1?). We will have to test this, and I would like to ask you all to contribute!

The list above surely is not exhausive I think. So, the first task would be to accomplish the needs in order to specify the real needs.

As this printing stuff is quite lots of development work, we then will have to sponsor the development (or we will have to wait very, very long, I fear). Therefore, I would like to ask the "community", if there is someone out there, who would be willing to join in sponsoring the development of printing functionalities of gvSIG. Our organisation, the Department of Health and Environment is willing to contribute, but I fear that we cannot bear all development costs.

What is your opinion?

Best,
Wolfgang

[1] http://www.nabble.com/Some-questions-regarding-printing-to18648153.html#a18648153