[Gvsig_english] printing

Wolfgang Qual Wolfgang.Qual at gmx.net
Thu Oct 16 11:10:40 CEST 2008

Hi Chris, all

> My experience in IT suggests this is by far the worst option. The habit,
> built in the proprietary marketplace where users need to be "sold" new
> versions, of trying to build all possible functionality into a single piece of
> software all too often results in software that is not so very good at
> anything, and almost always results in software that is prone to crashing,
> inconsistencies between versions e.g. in data interchange, and extremely slow to
> fix bugs.
You are right - this is really a risk. And gvSIG might be already in danger of going towards that, as more and more functionality is going to be built in that wonderful program. So this issue has to be handeled with great care. Developers, what do you think of this?

> Ensuring there is a seamless flow between applications involved in
> different stages is a far more sustainable approach.
yes.
> This seems a reasonable approach for the majority of cartographic needs.
> For some of our needs however we would always need to finish the output in a
> graphics focussed application as we are producing maps as illustrations
> for client reports. The traditional (last 5 years ;) ) workflow in contract
> archaeology is from ArcGIS to Illustrator; gvSIG output to SVG would then
> neatly substitute gvSIG to Inkscape for that workflow, with the added
> potential benefit of rich web publishing of maps using the SVG output.
And this is also very important: how do users work out there? I guess, if there is a "traditional" approved workflow then we should really keep this in mind. Prepress-activities are might be not everyday-work- therefore, "standard" layout and "office printing" should be doable within gvSIG.
Export for high-quality map production or publication should be ensured.
@Chris: what export-format do you use to export your map out of ArcGIS: eps? image files?

> Google Doc or a Wiki page, if the latter use OSGeo?
Maybe we shoul also start a second doc / or chapter, where detailed report on existing printing / layout issues is written down.

Greetings,
Wolfgang