[Gvsig_english] printing...

Marcel St-Germain pvmstg at videotron.ca
Thu Oct 16 14:09:48 CEST 2008

Hi Wolfgang, hi list

First, like I write before, even the arcmap (9,2 at least), have
problems with prepress printing.  In our small mapmaker firm, we print
map in two ways.  Pdf for booklet inhouse printing and large format
send to printing firm.  In the first case, all the picture, layout etc
is made inside arcmap.  When file is needed to be send outside to
printing we try almost all everyting... eps, pdf and tiff and finaly
only tiff was satisfactory because of color problem betwen arcmap map
and picture or others ad-ons in the layout page...   To correct the
problem we had to only export the map layout to photoshop and then
include the pictures and other graphic....

So... me to I would like gv_sig do all... But... It's like a big
big... challenge and ressources use.

I think I saw, maybe wrong, two use for printings... Simple
printing... any format, is where you have the map, the graticules and
others references around it, the scale, and the symbology you can
works on to do the index...  These maps should be handle inside gv_sig
if possible....  But, when going further, putting picture... making
complex layout, you should be able to export from gv_sig and then...
be able to finish the process inside a raster or vector product....

So the basic here is where spend developper time... In the printing
capability or in the gis capability... Me for once... I'm on for the
gis capability... For that... gv_sig need to be able to export in
raster (tiff with layers), eps, svg, pdf   perfectly    After it's the
choice of the user.

What I see in the future (I do not know if it's possible) is a way to
joind the development of scribus or sk11 or inscape to improve
compatibility.. I was thinking about somethig like a special import
feature to manage more efficiently the files export by gv_sig... I
also dream about plug-in to maintain georeferencing in the process
(like in canvas).  By this... you can upgrade a map only by sending
the new part and import it to see this part right on the spot....

Wolfgang, for the svg... I do not know in europe by here in canada...
I can't seend a svg file to a prepress no one is using this format...
for now... I'm not and expert so... I'm refering also at some line I
read, maybe in sk1 forum about it...

Marcel