[Gvsig_english] gvSIG and Java on Mac OS X

Mijail hmijail at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 16:05:31 CEST 2008

> And indeed: IT WORKS (using the JAI from Apple's JDK 1.5)!

Yipee-ki-yay!! :D

> GvSIG on Mac OS X 10.4 running on a bundled FreeBSD 1.6 JRE (in your
> face, Apple)!
>
> Now, the last question, coming from a Mac ignoramus: how do I get
> my shell script to execute automatically instead of the JavaStubs
> launcher when the user double-clicks the gvSIG package?

In the *.app/Contents/Info.plist you'll find an entry pointing to the
actual file to be executed (which is supposed to be inside *.app/
Contents/MacOS). And that file can be a shell script.

Now, you don't need the complex bundle structure we have been using
for gvSIG <2. You only need the inner *.app bundle; the "outer" one is
only to check for and install JAI-ImageIO if needed. Which is not your
case because you already put it into SoyLatte.

(gvSIG 2 will also do without the outer bundle, since we have learnt
that JAI-ImageIO causes Firefox and Opera to die when loading Java
applets, and so we don't install it system-wide but use it as an
extra .jar in the classpath)
(remember to take out the jai-imageio.jar from your ~/Library/Java/
Extensions !)

A hopefully minor problem will be that you won't be able to "osx-ize"
the user experience as much as with the Apple-provided JavaStub.
Expect problems with the app icon and name while running, for example.
(or maybe SoyLatte has already been prepared for that?...). I think
you could overcome that by creating your own substitute of the
JavaStub, with a little Cocoa program which would present itself as
gvSIG to the OS and start an embedded JVM which would run the actual
program....

Also, can you confirm that the native functionalities (like loading a
TIFF) do work?

I think we could polish a bit the whole thing and prepare it so
different versions of gvSIG can be dropped-in, if you agree.

Cheers!