[Gvsig_english] gvSIG and Java on Mac OS X: success

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Mon Oct 27 14:17:42 CET 2008

Dear all,

it seems I have finally sorted out the remaining problems
with the Mac OS X app package.

There were many overlapping issues, too many for me to
disentangle the whole mess in hindsight. But here are
the most obvious ones:

1) Used a text editor that f****ed up file types, thus stopping
my shell script from running,
2) had to adjust the script to set up the X11 environment before
starting the SoyLatte JVM,
3) HAD to set the name of the startup script to "preJava" (this one
beats me, to be honest -- I'll have to test this a little further
yet).

GvSIG starts up happily on my OS X 10.4 now, using an X11-based
Java 6 JRE and the imaging stuff fully packaged.

I'll report back when I have an installer in a testable state.

Cheers,

Ben

Mijail wrote:

>> I can't seem to figure out how to set up a simple Info.plist
>> in the package so it will start my shell script. All works fine
>> from the command line. But there seems to be now way Mac OS X
>> accepts a shell script in the package's "MacOS" folder as an
>> executable. It simply won't start. Did I miss something?
>> Is it necessary to install some helper application on Mac OS X
>> to launch a shell script from the desktop or out of a .app package?
>>

> You don't need to install anything. We use a shell script in such a way
> since gvSIG 1.1 I think; you can see it at
> gvSIG.app/Contents/MacOS/preJava . As the name suggests, it is a script
> which is run before calling the original JavaStub, so we have the chance
> to set the needed environment variable for PROJ4.
>
> Without more details, I can't imagine what can be wrong with your
> script. Maybe the .sh extension? (strange). Take a look at said preJava
> script and its corresponding Info.plist; if it still doesn't work,
> please let me see that part of your bundle.

Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeology Ltd
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES