[Gvsig_english] gvSIG-join function::serious problem regarding field length!

Wolfgang Qual wolfgang.qual at gmx.net
Tue Apr 7 15:14:42 CEST 2009

Dear list, dear developers of gvSIG!
I just discovered a serious bug in gvSIG's join function. If a table B is
joined to a source table A, colums that contain long string values are
truncated to 30 characters, if the result of the join is exported to a
shp-file.
What I did:
1) open table B that contains very long string-values in a column  (actually,
these are html-links, about 100 characters long)
2) open a shapefile with table A, open its attribute table
3) join table B to table A
4) export that new result as new shapefile in order to make the join
permanent.
5) if the new shapefile is in the edit mode, it is easy to see that the column
that contains the html-links only has a length of 30 characters. Uh-oh.

I have installed gvSIG 1.1.2 and 1.9 (build 1228) on a linux machine.
Any comments are appreciated very much.

Best regards,
Wolfgang