[Gvsig_english] gvSIG-join function::serious problem regarding field length!

Javier Galán galan_javsan at gva.es
Wed Apr 8 10:13:14 CEST 2009

Dear Wolfgang

Did you notice, if the problem you told us, only happens with
csv-tables or also happens with dbf or shp-tables?

Thanks and regards

Javier

Wolfgang Qual wrote:
> Dear Sergio,
> this truncation of string column also happens, when a csv-table is used to
> create an event theme and this event theme is exported to shape-format.
> And this is done quite frequently.
>
> Best,
> Wolfgang
>

> Am Dienstag 07 April 2009 17:34:06 schrieb Sergio Clark:
>
>> Hi Wolfgang,
>>
>> Thanks for your notes. This bug has already been detected and it's
>> opened at gvSIG Bugtracking:
>> https://gvsig.org/trac/bugtracking/ticket/1654
>>
>> We'll try to fix it in next releases.
>>
>> Regards, and thanks again.
>> Sergio.
>>
>> Wolfgang Qual escribió:
>>
>>> Dear list, dear developers of gvSIG!
>>> I just discovered a serious bug in gvSIG's join function. If a table B is
>>> joined to a source table A, colums that contain long string values are
>>> truncated to 30 characters, if the result of the join is exported to a
>>> shp-file.
>>> What I did:
>>> 1) open table B that contains very long string-values in a column
>>> (actually, these are html-links, about 100 characters long)
>>> 2) open a shapefile with table A, open its attribute table
>>> 3) join table B to table A
>>> 4) export that new result as new shapefile in order to make the join
>>> permanent.
>>> 5) if the new shapefile is in the edit mode, it is easy to see that the
>>> column that contains the html-links only has a length of 30 characters.
>>> Uh-oh.
>>>
>>> I have installed gvSIG 1.1.2 and 1.9 (build 1228) on a linux machine.
>>> Any comments are appreciated very much.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Wolfgang

Javier Galán Sánchez
Proyecto gvSIG
Consellería de Infraestructuras y Transportes (GVA)
Valencia (España)