[Gvsig_english] Unable to install the gvSIG's builds because of lack of permissions

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Mon Aug 17 16:38:30 CEST 2009

Hi Silvio,

the OA Digital installer uses a bundled Java Virtual Machine. It is not
necessary to install any files outside the user's gvSIG installation
directory. In principle, this should be possible with the standard
gvSIG installer, as well, but the gvSIG developers are more qualified
to comment on this.

If all else failes, you can always download a JRE
and the Java Image I/O extensions manually, then install them into a
folder in your home directory and edit the gvSIG startup script to
point it to that folder -- no admin ever needs to know about it ;)

Another alternative is to install everything onto a removable USB
mass storage device. That way, you can run gvSIG on any PC that you
can log onto, without ever needing to install it.

Ben