[Gvsig_english] GvSIG and Joins

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Tue Aug 18 10:34:52 CEST 2009

Dear all,

It seems to me that gvSIG's Join functionality is
the weakest point of the current 1.9 code base.
There has been a lot of work on this recently and
things have been changing quickly from one build to
the next.

In my opinion, the Join function must currently
(build 1244) be considered broken, for the following
reasons:

1. All joined fields are prefixed "link_" (why not "join_"?).
As Wolfgang remarks, this leads to mutilated attribute field
names on shapefile export.

2. There is currently nothing that can be done in gvSIG
with joined data that could not be done better directly
in the database. The only things that are GIS-specific,
the thematic mapping (symbology) and labeling, have been
disabled  for joined fields in recent builds.

I think it would be an absolute pity to spoil such a great
software and all the progress that has been made in other
areas by shipping 1.9 with a broken Join function.
I would not hesitate to recommend 1.9 for any purpose
at the moment, except joining and mapping data from
external databases -- too bad, really.

Would it be possible to clean up the most important problems
with Join before the 1.9 release?
And restore the symbology and labeling stuff?

On a related topic: Could the "Link" tool be changed to
use the same dialog  as the new"Join" tool, please?
The one it now has is old and buggy.

Cheers,

Ben

------