[Gvsig_english] BIG problems with reprojecting AGD66 to GDA94

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Tue Dec 1 13:52:35 CET 2009

Juan Lucas,

Do you know I have a range of programs that just don't like odd names or paths, especially those with spaces, so I name all project directories and files so there are no spaces present at all. Avoids problems.

On receipt of your email it dawned on me that gvSIG may be one of those programs. Since I avoid spaces myself I would not have encountered this problem except in getting a file from a third party (I was unclear whether gsb files could be renamed, so left the file as is).

I reran the tutorial you provided after renaming the gsb file "A66National" and guess what, it worked. Add a space in the grid file name and it does not work. Remove all spaces at it works again. Funnily enough, the program did not care about '(' or ')' or '.', just spaces. Go figure...

In regards to seeing "NT v2 Grids..." I reloaded gvSIG+Sextante on a new machine and this was not in the new install, "Grids" appeared in the drop down box the same as seen in your video.

So case closed. This whole episode boiled down to a glitch in the file opening routine. On further investigation I found that gvSIG tolerates spaces in directory names but not in filenames. So the lesson I have learnt here, apart from "gvSIG works with the Australia Tranformation Grid", is that "gvSIG requires all data files to have names WITHOUT any spaces".

Again, thanks for you help. I really appreciate it.

Cheers Simon