[Gvsig_english] BUG: gvSIG 1.9 (Build 1253) Image Filtering

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Thu Dec 17 12:58:41 CET 2009

And here comes the artillery:

Coordinate (reference) system (CRS) = a mathematical convention for describing locations relative
to a defined origin (e.g. Cartesian: 100m East, 200m North, Geographic: lat and long).

Datum = a precise description of the origin of a geodetic system, nowadays this often includes
a mathematical transformation type and its parameters to convert measurements from
a foreign system into the system for which the datum is defined (e.g. Potsdam datum).

Projection = a mathematical formula and its parameters that allows you to literally
project "natural" locations on the Earth's curved 3D surface to a plane for display on
e.g. a 2D map or monitor. An approximation model of Earth's geoid shape ("Ellipse") is
also needed for this to work.

Spatial reference system (SRS) or geodetic reference system: the whole bunch of those
components together. This is what a GIS menu entry usually refers to, even if it is
labelled "projection".

... never mind what the GUIs tell you!

Ben