[Gvsig_english] BUG: gvSIG 1.9 (Build 1253) Image Filtering

Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Thu Dec 17 14:18:13 CET 2009

Ben,

"Projection = a mathematical formula and its parameters that allows you to literally
project "natural" locations on the Earth's curved 3D surface to a plane for display on
e.g. a 2D map or monitor. An approximation model of Earth's geoid shape ("Ellipse") is
also needed for this to work."

OK... after you project the "natural" locations on the earths curved 3D surface to a plane what is the visual 2D representation called? Don't say projection. Whats its name? Are their multiple versions of this entity (depending on the creator)? How does this relate to lat-long?

Do you know of a good explanation of the "Datum + Projection + CRS = SRS" concept on the web (or can you provide one), so I can better understand the distinction between the various components?

Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper
Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 160, Sunshine, Victoria 3020.