[Gvsig_english] BUG: gvSIG 1.9 (Build 1253) Image Filtering

Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Thu Dec 17 23:20:52 CET 2009

Sergio,

:-D   very good!

I suppose I was looking for this answer (after reading a bit more and a
sleeping on the issue)...

Datum: WGS84, GDA94, AGD66
Coordinate Reference System: lat/long, northing/easting
Projection: Azimuthal Stereographic Projection, Gnomonic Projection,
Miller's Cylindrical Projection, Equal-area Conic Projections by Lambert
and Albers, Wiechel's Projection, Transverse Mercator, Lambert Conic
Conformal (2SP), etc

Here is a link I found that has some fantastic visual representations of
each type of projection... Cartographical Map Projections
<http://www.progonos.com/furuti/MapProj/Normal/TOC/cartTOC.html>

Also, in the SRS Info section of the reprojection facility, some EPSG
Codes show the projection. For example, EPSG 20255

    Code of selected SRS: 20255
    Repository: EPSG
    SRS name: AGD66 / AMG zone 55
    Projected: Yes
    Datum name: Australian Geodetic Datum 1966

    Ellipsoid: Australian National Spheroid
    Semi-major axis 6378160.0
    Inverse flattening 298.25

    Prime meridian: Greenwich
    Meridian of longitude 0.0

    Projection: Transverse Mercator <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

    Parameters

    semi_major 6378160.0
    semi_minor 6356774.719195305
    central_meridian 147.0
    latitude_of_origin 0.0
    scale_factor 0.9996
    false_easting 500000.0
    false_northing 1.0E7

    PROJ4 string: +proj=tmerc +lat_0=0.0 +lon_0=147.0 +k=0.9996 +
    x_0=500000.0 +y_0=1.0E7 +ellps=aust_SA +units=m

If I look at EPSG 3100

    Code of selected SRS: 3110
    Repository: EPSG
    SRS name: AGD66 / Vicgrid66
    Projected: Yes
    Datum name: Australian Geodetic Datum 1966

    Ellipsoid: Australian National Spheroid
    Semi-major axis 6378160.0
    Inverse flattening 298.25

    Prime meridian: Greenwich
    Meridian of longitude 0.0

    Projection: Lambert Conic Conformal (2SP) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

    Parameters
    semi_major 6378160.0
    semi_minor 6356774.719195305
    central_meridian 145.0
    latitude_of_origin -37.0
    standard_parallel_1 -36.0
    false_easting 2500000.0
    false_northing 4500000.0
    standard_parallel_2 -38.0

    PROJ4 string: +proj=lcc +lat_1=-36.0 +lat_2=-38.0 +lat_0=-37.0
    +lon_0=145.0 +
    x_0=2500000.0 +y_0=4500000.0 +ellps=aust_SA +units=m

but if you look at EPSG 4202...

    Code of selected SRS: 4202
    Repository: EPSG
    SRS name: AGD66
    Projected: No
    Datum name: Australian Geodetic Datum 1966

    Ellipsoid: Australian National Spheroid
    Semi-major axis 6378160.0
    Inverse flattening 298.25

    Prime meridian: Greenwich
    Meridian of longitude 0.0

    PROJ4 string: +proj=longlat +ellps=aust_SA

or EPSG 4283...

    Code of selected SRS: 4283
    Repository: EPSG
    SRS name: GDA94
    Projected: No
    Datum name: Geocentric Datum of Australia 1994

    Ellipsoid: GRS 1980
    Semi-major axis 6378137.0
    Inverse flattening 298.257222101

    Prime meridian: Greenwich
    Meridian of longitude 0.0
    PROJ4 string: +proj=longlat +ellps=GRS80

You see that it does not state that the SRS is projected and no
projection is given. In fact, if I am getting the grasp of this stuff,
_this is actually incorrect_ - all representations of the earth in 2D
are a projection. The above two are actually "cylindrical projections"
(see here
<http://www.progonos.com/furuti/MapProj/Normal/ProjCyl/projCyl.html>) -
they are probably not flagged as projected because no computation is
done on the raw coordinates 45°N is +45, 34°S is -34, etc.

Am I on the right track?

Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper
Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd