[Gvsig_english] Feedback on tools in gvSIG v 1.9

Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Tue Dec 22 11:41:35 CET 2009

Hi,

This is just a note on a number of tools and how I think they would work
better.

Join Tables

    * I have a layer selected, click on the table icon to view it's
      attributes.
    * I then click on the join icon to link two tables together
    * The Join Tables toolbox then appears but the source table actually
      is the first table in the table list of the project. I think it
      should be automatically set as the table of the shapefile
      currently being viewed - especially since the join icon will only
      appear if you are viewing a table.

Reproject Tool

    * I have a layer selected, open the geoprocessing tools dialog and
      drill down to the reproject tool.
    * I then click on "Open Tool"
    * The input layer is then set at the last suitable layer  in the ToC.
    * Again, I would expect that the default should be the selected layer.

I note the same problem occurs with the "Add geometry info".

Personally when you select a tool that only works on one layer and you
have a layer selected I would expect that that layer would automatically
be set as the source layer. Otherwise shouldn't these tools be in a
tools menu rather than have them under the layer menu?

--

Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper
Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd