[Gvsig_english] gvSIG (build 1226): some bugs and wishes - comments on all discussed points

Wolfgang Qual Wolfgang.Qual at gmx.net
Wed Feb 11 16:36:10 CET 2009

Hi Sergio, list.
I tested it again. Here are my answers regarding your remaining questions:
> You're right about this. Second one we think it's related with jcrs
> extension. First one, we're trying to fix it.
ok.

> > 3) opening projects
> > * if an existing project is opened, layers are all set to mode "not
> visible". As reported earlier by another user, layers get labeled, although
> that was not defined before. If the project contains larger shapefiles this
> can be a big problem (as the rendering of the labels takes quite some
> time)...
> >

> First problem doesn't happen to me, but it does second one: labeling is
> automatically enabled (but I don't see any label if I don't Apply or
> Accept the Label panel). We'll note this as a bug.
Agree. in 1226 same thing happens to me

> > 4) Editing layers
> > * I tried to modify the attributes of a layer that contained only one
> element. This was nearly impossible: during editing the table, the new value
> in the table did not appear. Only when finishing the edit mode, changes got
> visible in the table. This did not happed if the layer contains more than
> one element.

> I can see the changes without 'Finishing edition', but I must close and
> reopen the table (even this way, it's a bit annoying too).
This is really a little bit annoying. At least, if you do not know that you have to close and reopen the table... ;)

> > * The new merge-tool is great. However, it happens every now and then
> that the former border of two polygons (that was removed during merge
> operation) is still visible as a very thin line. Should not be the case. Or am I
> wrong??

> I couldn't reproduce it in 1226. This part is being developped at the
> moment, so it can exist changes from build to build.
Ok. Sometimes, I got an error message, some times the tool is working without problems. As it is still under development: ok.

> > 5) labeling layers
> > * using the "individual labelin"-tool:
> >   + using "redo" to remove a new label will cause an error message to
> appear (use error....")
> >   + typing in a value for "font rotate" > 0 will create a label that is
> too far away from the labeling point. This distance is variable depending
> to the value for "font rotate" is bigger. This is a problem, as it is not
> possible to minimize that distance.
> >

> Yes. We're working on solve both bugs.
Ok. Thank you very much. The tool is already very useful. Well done, developers.

> > 6) Map (Layout)
> > * It was not possible to create a pdf-output. Error message ("Error
> grave de la application....), pdf created that cannot be opened.
> > * I failed in creating a template for the map layout. Error message:
> error grave de la aplication.
> >

> It doesn't happen to me. Could you send us the .log file?
Ok. In 1226 it worked. Got a pdf-document.

> > WISHES
> > 1) Displaying data
> > * layers should not be activated automatically when added to the view.
> This could save quite some time.
> > * layers should get different colour when loaded into the view. Now, all
> layers are drawn in blue. Would save some time for a first glance (because
> currently, the user has to alter the colour of the layers before, in order
> to separate them visually).
> >

> For the second one, you have the possibility to make this colour
> 'Aleatory' by activating this option inside gvSIG
> Preferences/Symbology/"Default fill colour".
Ok. I have found it. Good point! That was exactly, what I was looking for.

> > 2) labeling
> > * user defined labels - this function is really great. Sometimes -
> especially if the layer is a little bit bigger - it takes too long for the
> labels to be drawn. It would be great, if that could be made faster. Currently,
> it is a little bit annoying to see that the labels seem to be recalculated
> every time the extent of the map has been changed (by zooming in, dragging
> etc.). Possible?
> >
> Don't know.
Uh-oh. Then I would like to ask this question to the developers: what extent is calculated for labeling: only the visible one for that scale? If so: would it possible to enlarge that extent in order to allow faster redrawing when the pan mode is active? Are there any ideas to speed this up? Compared to the "user defined labels", labeling with the "old" attribute-table option is much more faster!!!

> > * Filter expressions in the layers properties should also have an effect
> on displayed labels. Currently, this is not possible.
> >

> I'm not sure if I've understand you. When I write a filter sentence for
> labeling only some geometries, and Apply it, I can see changes in the
> view. Is this what you mean?
No. What I wanted to express: when I choose Layer properties > Symbols > Categories > Expressions and define a filter expression, I would have expected the labels also to appear only where that expression would allow the drawing of the selected features. But it seems to be different: I have to define an expression for the symbols AND for the labeling (of the same layer, if I want to have this on my map). Right?

I hope that this is a little bit clearer..  Sometimes, I should spend more time on that before sending the mails.
Best,
Wolfgang
--
Jetzt 1 Monat kostenlos! GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a