[Gvsig_english] Oracle Spatial and JDBC

Antonio Pedro topesantos at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 19:45:28 CET 2009

Hi all,
I have Oracle Spatial 11g and I want to connect gvSIG with the DB and gives
me the error:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver

I searched in my ORACLE_HOME and I found this
in C:\oracle\ora11g\product\11.1.0\client_1\jdbc\Readme.txt:

Support for Java Standard Edition 6 (JSE6) and JDBC 4.0
    JSE 6 (AKA Mustang) is supported by the Thin and OCI drivers
    including support for the new JDBC spec, JDBC 4.0. The new
    java.sql.SQLXML type is not supported in this release. JSE 6 is
    supported by the new Oracle JDBC jar files: ojdbc6.jar,
    ojdbc6_g.jar, ojdbc6dms.jar, and ojdbc6dms_g.jar. This
    release conforms with the JSE 6 production release.

    J2SE 5.0 and JDBC 3.0 are fully supported by the other jars
    contained in this release. The Server Internal Driver and Thin in
    the Server driver support J2SE 5/ JDK 1.5 only.

Desupport of oracle.jdbc.driver
    In the initial release of the Oracle JDBC drivers customers were
    advised to use the classes defined in the package
    oracle.jdbc.driver. This has caused problems for customers and for
    Oracle. In Oracle JDBC release 9.0.1 customer use of the classes
    in that package was deprecated. A new package, oracle.jdbc, was
    introduced and customers were advised to begin using the
    interfaces and classes defined in oracle.jdbc. In every release
    since 9.0.1 we have encouraged customers to switch to oracle.jdbc
    and stated that oracle.jdbc.driver would be desupported. The time
    has come. Customer code that references oracle.jdbc.driver will
    not compile and will not execute in this and future releases of
    the Oracle JDBC drivers. Please use oracle.jdbc instead.

    If you are using a class in oracle.jdbc.driver which does
    not have an equivalently named type in oracle.jdbc, then customer
    use of that class was never supported and you will need to find
    another solution. The only exception is
    oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleLog. Customers can still reference that
    class for debugging purposes. Even in that case Oracle reccommends
    that you use the Oracle JDBC Diagnosability MBean instead. See the
    Oracle JDBC Developer's Guide for details.

I have gvSIG 1.1.2 and Java 1.5.0_11.

Is there a version that works with oracle.jdbc?

Thanks,
Antonio Pedro Santos