[Gvsig_english] GvSIG 2.0 Java 1.6 support

Luis W. Sevilla sevilla_lui at gva.es
Fri Feb 20 10:46:10 CET 2009

Jorge Sanz wrote:
> Ben,
>
> First, we really appreciate your comments and offer to help testing gvSIG, be sure we will use both :)
>
> And second, yes, gvSIG dev team have studied to switch to java 1.6, and how it will impact on current code base. As you know upgrading to a new JVM is one of the most serious upgrades for any java soft and it has to be done carefully in order to maintain functionalities and stability.

I don't think this is the point of Benjamin. Not 'please, switch to java
1.6', but 'please don't continue being incompatible with 1.6'.
On my understanding this may suppose minor changes on the code, but
requires to have this platform in QA department, for being able to
ensure gvSIG it's running over 1.6 JVM.

You may have an application written in java 1.3, and binary compatible
with all later versions, by being accurate in the use of languaje. You
only need to have this as a target on your project.

Currently gvSIG it's certified in 1.5, but this doesn't suppose it won't
run on 1.6, only that ... it's not tested, an we don't know. Thus, the
easiest change would be: test it, and fix the minos issues that are
doing the whole beast unsuitable over 1.6, then certify it on both
platforms and ... voila!

    best regards
       Luis

p:s. representing none, but my self.