[Gvsig_english] SpatiaLite spatial DBMS support

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 13:19:38 CET 2009

Chris Puttick wrote:

> As the open standard would be better. Interoperability is the key to
> healthy competition. Can an open standard be based on a specific piece
> of software though?

Well, I guess the open standards are already there: OGC has defined WKB,
WKT, plus EPSG projections etc. SpatiaLite implements those using BLOB
data and some additional system tables, just as does PostGIS (granted,
without an OGC certification so far).
It should not be too hard to convert PostGIS <-> SpatiaLite, using
plain SQL statements. Functionally, the two are identical (both have
their geoprocessing capabilities based on GEOS). Don't know very much
about MySQL Spatial, but I would imagine it's a very similar deal.

SQLite just happens to be a particularly popular and high-quality
code base to build on. There is nothing easier than taking those
~250K of code and "stuffing" them into a larger app to add SQLite/
spatial support. It's designed to be perfectly embeddable.

So, yes, I'd like to see SQLite as open source standard, as it
does it's job without causing headaches and is of remarkable quality,
plus fully cross-platform (heck, we even got it running on OpenMoko!).
With all the popularity it enjoys, it also seems to be here to stay
(if you have ever set a bookmark on your FF3, then you are an SQLite
user already ;) ).

Ben

>> SQLite support is
>>
>> already pretty universal, so no reason why SpatiaLite should
>> not have the same bright future.
>>
>> And then: Bye, bye Shapefiles, bye bye you horrible MDBs!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Ben
>>

> Chris
>

> ------
> Files attached to this email may be in ISO 26300 format (OASIS Open Document Format). If you have difficulty opening them, please visit http://iso26300.info for more information.

Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeological Unit Limited
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES