[Gvsig_english] New extension for gvSIG

Stefano Orlando orste at libero.it
Fri Mar 20 17:47:01 CET 2009

Hi Silvio

> At present, I have a very simple question to ask about this new
> improvement.
> Reading your message I didn't understand  if your last extension works
> only for  MS Access (MDB) files created with Intergraph GeoMedia or
> whatever Ms Access database.
> The latter, created directly by Microsoft Access (without passing by
> GeoMedia).
> I suppose the second option is the right one. That is, it is possible to
> open whatever Ms Access database stored on your Pc (in read-only mode).

The extension is designed to read only the GeoMedia MDB format (i.e., an
Access database with the schema defined by Intergraph GeoMedia for storing
geometries, data, coordinate systems, etc.), so if you open with it a
generic Access Database you'll receive an error stating that the database
doesn't match the GeoMedia schema (that doesn't mean that the Access
database *must* have been created with Intergraph GeoMedia, only that it has
to follow his schema).
The possibility to open a generic Access database (classic, not spatial)
could be a simple downsizing of my extension; I've received some requests
about that and probably I'll put this feature in a new extension.

Regards.

Stefano Orlando
Independent GIS & IT Security Consultant
Udine - Italy