[Gvsig_english] gvSIG is a viable robust alternative to commercially available GIS packages

Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Thu Nov 26 14:31:53 CET 2009

Sergio,

Thanks for your reply.

DGN Support - I did not have files around to test but yes I note the
"DGN Memory Driver" in the add layer dialog box.

Conversion from graphic to shape - I think we differ in what is meant by
graphic. In ArcView you are able to place points, lines, polygons on a
view. You can align the graphic elements, move them around and
manipulate them like their cousins stored in a shapefile. The data is
stored in the project file. These graphics can then be exported to a
shapefile. The process can be readily reversed. I have used this when
creating a large grid of polygons for example. One square, duplicate,
align, repeat until you have a enormous grid of squares. This can then
be exported to a shapefile to be used as a 1-minute, 10-minute grid,
etc. Now-a-days I create GML files created by a program.

Complex Legend based on 2 fields - again I think we differ in our understanding. Imagine I have a vegetation code (PGW, HW, GW) and I have a quality rating (H, M, L, D). Normally I would have to create a separate field called vegqual that contained a combination of these two fields (PGW-M, PGW-D, GW-H, GW-D, HW-M) and use the "Unique Values" symbology to distinguish these groups. A combined legend is where you don't need the third combo field you just state that you want to create a list of all legitimate combinations for the 2 or 3 fields - the program does the rest.

Vegetation index from images - OK yes I see this now. I needed to scale
down the image though before I could get it to start. I have not fully
explored Sextante functions yet.

Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper
Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd