[Gvsig_english] mac support

pvmstg hotmail pop pvmstg at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 27 14:05:20 CET 2009

Hi, thanks for taking time to send me info.  It's make problematic
more clear now.

@ Silvio
This is and egg and chichen problem.... Yes I could use linux
distribution (I have, for fun, unbuntu install in virtual box).  The
basic of my dream, for a simple end user (no programming skill nor
money) like I said in one of my first post more than a year ago, it's
to be able to show alternative to the verry small firm I partly work
for.  They are all windows base with arcview arcmap configuration.  We
make navigational charts and maps.  Since I hate windows (sorry for
windows users) and I'm frustrated about the multiple problems of
arcmap, I'm always in the search for gis alternatives that can do the
job on win and for me, get peace by doing finaly the job on mac.

Since for myself I do not need more than udig or qgis does, using
linux doesn't answer my problem.  If I need a tool only for myself, I
will prefer going to stricly a mac base development gis who take care
of all the power of the mac like Cartographica.

@ Duke

I hope you are wrong.  In the conference they said they will release
the api in timing with the 9,4 arcmap release.  Since they support
linux on server side and java etc on web, maybe the api will be
available for other os than win.  Wait and see.

All depend of the goal.  Like discuss a year ago, if the goal is to
offer gis capability, yes, you do not need access to filegeodatabase.
But, since it's the standar for firm and organisation working with
arcmap product, the only way to make a penetration in these place is
to be able not to tell them to scrap all the work done and start
fress.  My small firm doesn't have the ressource by example to convert
data already made in a format to and other one and... mostly, to start
again.

@ César

It's just that, at first the project, with it's statament about
multiplatform and the effectively release of a mac version leave
hope.  Now for me my big hope have been reduce to wait and maybe.  I
know it's not a small task but if at the begening the project was
linux-win advertised, I had not make myself...

Good works and I still looking foward for the stable release to spread
the world.

Marcel