[Gvsig_english] BIG problems with reprojecting AGD66 to GDA94

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio jldominguez at prodevelop.es
Sun Nov 29 12:19:05 CET 2009

Hello, Simon.

I have done a test with a view in EPSG:4202 and two shapefiles (a target shapefile in EPSG:4202 and a source shapefile in EPSG:4283) extracted from your DBF. After adding the target shapefile (same projection as the view) I have added the source shp trying a variety of transformations. When you add it to the view, gvSIG lets you choose among eleven available "EPSG transformations" between those two EPSG codes. The one that gives me the best result is the first one:

Transformation code: 1278
Name: AGD66 to GDA94 (1)
(we are actually doing the inverse transformation (GDA94 to AGD66) but the algorithm seems to be aware of this and does it well)

I have measured the distance between the obtained coordinates (transformed source shp) and the expected coordinates (target shp)  for 5 random points and I get these errors:

1.2 m
0.9 m
1.57 m
0.88 m
0.96 m

I have also looked into some pdf files and I have found these parameters (AGD66 to GDA94) for Victoria and NSW:

http://www.icsm.gov.au/icsm/gda/gdatm/gdav2.3.pdf

Dx = -119.353
Dy = -48.301
Dz = 139.484
Rx = -0.415
Ry = -0.26
Rx = -0.437
Sc = -0.613

Since we are doing the inverse transfomation, we should reverse the sign for each parameter, but I don't get good results.

I have also read somewhere that in Australia and the US, the rotation parameters have the inverse meaning than in Europe (big ???), so I tried these parameters (reversing the ones above except for the rotation parameters):

Dx = 119.353
Dy = 48.301
Dz = -139.484
Rx = -0.415
Ry = -0.26
Rx = -0.437
Sc = 0.613

And indeed, I get significantly smaller errors for those 5 points:

0.7 m
0.15 m
0.75 m
0.8 m
0.25 m

Those 7 parameters can be entered with the "manual transformation" option. I didn't get the grid to work either, sorry, although the format seems to be one supported by gvSIG. And I have not done any tests with non-geographical SRS.

Regards,

Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio
---
Prodevelop SL, Valencia (España)