[Gvsig_english] Question on GeoBD and Metadata when exporting toOracle

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio jldominguez at prodevelop.es
Thu Oct 15 13:20:28 CEST 2009

Hello, Wolfgang. Regarding the spatial index in Oracle Spatial:

As Fran says, this is a server-side question. When a vector layer is exported to the Oracle Spatial DB, gvSIG explicitly creates a spatial index. This is mandatory if one needs to perform geometric queries on the resulting table (as gvSIG does). If you add tables with geometries from other software or manually (SQL sentences), the spatial index will also have to be created.

According to the Oracle documentation, the default algorithm used for the spatial index is R-tree. There is also a quadtree implementation, but Oracle strongly recommends not to use it as its performance is significantly poorer, probably only to be used if you have a deep knowledge of what your geometries look like and how each algorithm behaves.

When creating the index, we use the default SQL sentence, which uses sensible settings for almost any layer. The only parameter we might add is one that optimizes the performance when the layer is of type POINT.

Regards,

Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio
---
Prodevelop SL, Valencia (España)