[Gvsig_english] bug in map tool for rasterdata?

Da Kn davkprivat at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 8 13:23:53 CEST 2009

hi,
if I try to create a map (via the gvSIG [1.9 RC1] map tool) out of a DEM
(.asc) and save it as a pdf, there is often one square part of the picture,
while being shown properly in the gvSIG map viewbox, not being shown
correctly in the saved PDF. it is replaced with some uniform, probably
representing the average of the whole image, color. this only happens, if
there is no white space between the actual upper edge of the raster image
and the upper edge of the limitation of the viewbox of the mapping tool. so
if I want to map a part of the raster image without it's upper edge (e.g.
zooming into the center of the image, so that the there is some upper part
of the raster image crossing the upper edge of the view box) I get this
error. if the upper edge of the raster image is within the viewbox, there is
no problem. this happened with more .asc DEMs I loaded into gvSIG.
projection was UTM. even after I created a GeoTiff out of the DEM, the
problem remained with this Geotiff. I also opened new projects, and
restarted gvSIG, also renamed the .asc files and loaded from original
source. On the other hand, some Geotiffs, i created in Global mapper, don't
have this problem.
I don't know if the problem is really depending on the edges, but at least
this is what I found out after trying a long time.

thanks, dav

p.s. gvSig has really become a great tool for rasterdata working. but, do
you know any further colortables, which one can download (where?) and add to
gvSIG? because those in gvSIG are mainly done for remote sensing I think,
not for visualisation of a topographic map. of course I can change the
colors, but some ready tables with common themes would be great for a better
comparison.