[Gvsig_english] [GSoC] Mentoring a gvSIG GSoC idea

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Thu Apr 1 22:10:30 CEST 2010

Sure,

I'd like to mentor a student (and I probably have a candidate,
already) to implement support for SQlite3 tables (both simple
tables and spatial tables) in gvSIG.

The simple tables would be easy to do and allow us to have
a file-based alternative superior to crummy DBF and crashy ODBC.

The more demanding part of the project would be to implement
spatial tables, i.e. SQLite3 tables that store OGC geometries
and allow loading and saving them as regular layers into a View.
There is already support for this in OpenJUMP, so my hope is
we can borrow a lot of code from there.

It would probably be best to implement this as an extension for
gvSIG 2.0, using the new data access interface.

I could do most of the mentoring myself but I would appreciate
if some could co-mentor who already knows his/her way around
the new 2.0 code structure.

Cheers,

Ben