[Gvsig_english] Several patches for PostGIS driver

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Mon Aug 16 10:59:07 CEST 2010

Hi Andres,

many thanks for these patches! They fix a lot of annoying problems.
I have reviewed them as much as I could, but I don't have a working
PostGIS setup at the moment, so could not test them myself.

I have some questions/comments:

1. Regarding the handling of "gid" and "the_geom" fields.
I have reviewed the PostGIS docs and did not find a statement
that says these fields must be called "gid" or "the_geom".
So I guess it's fine to use something like "gid1" for the
primary key. However, googling around a bit I got the impression
that some software always assumes that "gid" and "the_geom"
exist with these names. Clearly, it's not gvSIG's fault that
some other software assumes something that is not guaranteed.
But to guard users from potential trouble when interchanging
data with other applications: should we display a warning message
if "gid" or "the_geom" are changed to another name?

2. Regarding case-sensitivity in gvSIG.
This is something that has needed fixing for a long time and
I am glad you addressed this problem. However, did you test
how your patches interact with the gvSIG GUI? My impression
was that some dialogs are not case-sensitive for field names.
E.g., I was not able to rename a PostGIS field from "fielda"
to "FieldA", because the field manager dialog thought the two
were the same names. To clarify: I don't think there is anything
wrong with how your patches work. But I am afraid there may
be more parts of gvSIG's GUI that need patching.

Again, thanks for your work. It really improves a key component
of gvSIG.

Best,

Ben