[Gvsig_english] gvSIG Desktop 2.0

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Wed Aug 18 10:25:42 CEST 2010

ESRI have been promising to release that API for
five (!) years now:

http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=985&t=243828

There is still no clarity when it will be released and
how capable it will be. There will most likely be no
Java API and the damn thing will only run on Windows.
Also, it's unclear whether you will need an ArcGIS license
to make any good use of it.

How should a release plan include such vaporware?

There will always be undisclosed proprietary formats used
for vendor lock-ins. Not much an open source project can
do about it. The only solution is to build ArcGIS projects
on top of open standards, such as Shapefiles or PostGIS.

Otherwise, the data will remain locked in there.

Best,

Ben