[Gvsig_english] Data Encryption - gvSIG Mobile

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Wed Dec 1 22:47:35 CET 2010

On Thursday 02 December 2010 8:21:41 am alitaha wrote:
> i need to use gvSIG mobile to view vector layers, however, the data is
> confidential and i need to protect it from being copied and used by some
> bokdy else. is there a way to encrypt the data layers ?

Ali,

Although I don't actually use gvSIG Mobile I think the question is actually
relates more to data storage.

My understanding is that typical shapefiles and raster can not be locked down
per sae. You might be able to establish a log-on event when using a database
stored geospatial data but lets face it if you log-on then put your device
down on a table and a geospatially aware thief nicks the device your data is
potentially compromised.

Personally it is like any mobile device, use hardware security measures like
locking the screen, using fingerprint scanners and locking the bios.

I use gvSIG Desktop on a Tablet PC and also have the problem of using
sensitive data. I do all the above -- a secure BIOS lock on the harddisk, a
screen saver that uses password protection (which I bypass in an everyday
situation using the fingerprint scanner). In addition I never let the unit out
of my sight!

So in the unfortunate situation the unit is stolen a current session can not
be accessed. If the thief reboots they are presented with a BIOS lock. The
only way to get the unit to work is change the hard disk.
--
Cheers Simon

	Simon Cropper
	Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd