[Gvsig_english] The EPSG code I want to use is not in the SRS list

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio jldominguez at prodevelop.es
Fri Dec 3 13:53:29 CET 2010

Hello, Adam.

I'm sorry you cannot add new SRS without compiling the source code. If you have basic Java knowledge I can tell you which little changes need to be done.

However, I don't think you need to do that in this particular case. After reading this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Datum

and doing some tests with a shapefile of some lake in MN, my conclusion is that the difference between EPSG:26915 and EPSG:32615 is so small that most GIS applications don't perform any change between them.

You can do a test with gvSIG (desktop) to see if it makes a difference to reproject from EPSG:26915 to EPSG:32615. Using the gdal tools ( http://fwtools.maptools.org/ ) the command would be:

ogr2ogr -s_srs epsg:32615 -t_srs epsg:26915 lake_mn_26915.shp lake_mn_32615.shp

I have done that and the resulting shapefile is exactly the same as the source shapefile.

In short: you can set the view to EPSG:32615 in gvSIG Mobile and add your shapefiles/ECW/WMS in EPSG:26915, and everything should be ok.

Regards,
Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio

--
Prodevelop SL, Valencia (España)