[Gvsig_english] R: TIP - Using ImagePrinter to print maps to JPEG format (Windows Only)

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Wed Jan 6 11:26:27 CET 2010

Hi Simon,

First of all THANKS a lot very much for all the testing you are doing on gvSIG 1.9 :-)

> Simon Cropper wrote:
> For those people interested, I am currently preparing a
> tutorial that  will eventually be posted on my website

Having good tutorials in English for gvSIG 1.9 is really, really important.
I am totally sure many users are looking for them right now.
Consequently, keep them coming :-)

Maybe, in the end, some power-user will write a book in English about gvSIG 1.9.
Something like the book "Getting to know ArcGIS" and like.
Having such a book, for sale, e.g. on Amazon, will prove really useful for spreading gvSIG furthermore.
Needless to say, it could be useful for the writer bank's account as well ;-)

>Anyone who knows of a program with comparable functionality
> that can run
> on either of these systems please let me know

I don't know if you already know it but I could suggest you a good software for exporting pdf file to jpeg.
It runs on Windows.
Its name is: Pdf-Xchange viewer and it is freeware (not open-source, though).
Its webpage is: http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/PDF-XChange_Tools/pdfx_viewer
There is even the portable version for Windows (no privilege as administrator required to install it).
The link to get the portable version is: http://www.docu-track.com/downloads/users/
As regards Linux, I run without major problems, the commercial version (which allow to crop your pdf, delete its pages, export some pages etc).
This through Wine, on Ubuntu Karmic.
You can use Pdf-Xchange viewer, at work, even for commercial use.

With such a software you can export the gvSIG Map PDF as image (e.g. as jpeg, tiff, png etc, etc).
Pdf-xchange viewer (portable or not), in my view, is much powerful than Acrobat reader (the freeware version).
This in that it allows you, for instance, to draw arrows, circles, squares on your Pdf Map.
You can write some text; you can highlight it, underline it and so forth.
Its main advantage is that is is easy to use (no "geek" knowledge is required).
As I have explained, it is free (even though not open-source, unfortunately!)

Best regards and thanks again for your upcoming tutorials

Silvio