[Gvsig_english] R: TIP - Using ImagePrinter to print maps to JPEG format (Windows Only)

Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Thu Jan 7 01:34:52 CET 2010

Hi Kai,

I tried InkScape (both just then and previously). You can import into
Inkscape then export to PNG format. With the test I did there appeared
to be quite significant image degradation. I presume I would need to
adjust the export image resolution in the preferences section from 90 up
to something more suitable like 150/300. I also noted the 'white'
background was rendered transparent in the output PNG file. This may or
may not be a problem in some word processing projects.

I have heard of others projects like OpenJUMP using InkScape for
manipulation of map output
<http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jump-pilot/index.php?title=Printing_in_high-resolution>.
Personally I believe that you should be able to generate adequate maps
in gvSIG and not have to post-process output files (except under
exceptional circumstances).

Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper
Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd