[Gvsig_english] POTENTIAL ERROR gvSIG 1.9 (BN 1253) -- Jave Heap Error while editing table

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at prodevelop.es
Sat Jan 9 23:29:07 CET 2010

On 09/01/10 04:39, Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) wrote:
> Jorge,
>
> For someone who has repeatedly complained about the lack of clear
> documentation on use of Jython Scripting and Beanshell, this looks all
> too complicated. Just want some simply feedback stating that out of the
> 500MB of memory allocated I am using 80MB (OK) or 499MB (Panic). This
> way I can consider what I do in my normal projects and adjust the memory
> allocated to gvSIG accordingly.

To know the memory data from jython console you can run these commands
(they print results in megabytes)

from java.lang import Runtime
Runtime.getRuntime().totalMemory()/(1024*1024)
Runtime.getRuntime().maxMemory()/(1024*1024)
Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory()/(1024*1024)

> Is there a log of memory usage by gvSIG that may be relevant. I note
> that a file called gvSIG.log in the gvSIG folder of my home directory.
> This appears to be a log of tasks requested with some details of the
> memory usage. Would it be possible to redirect this memory usage
> information to the message bar at the bottom of the screen in gvSIG next
> to where the scale, X, Y, SRS data or in a separate toolbar. The
> feedback ould be verbal (X/Y used, %, and/or visual) -- this would allow
> the user to view memory usage in real time and to identify when they are
> stretching allocated resources. Just a thought.

Some java softs have this feature, usually hidden (i.e. in eclipse)
but it could be interesting to have it at the status bar. It should be
trivial to implement.

BTW, the log file has some bugs/features to resolve like remove any
print from the console and register everything there. Also let user to
select the log level to remove debug messages. And finally, add a
simple extension to create a timer that periodically (i.e. one or two
minutes) logs the memory usage as you suggest.

Cheers
- --
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas
Ingeniero en Geodesia y Cartografía