[Gvsig_english] QUESTION gvSIG 1.9 (BN 1253) -- Hoes does gvSIG reference shapefiles in ToC

Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Tue Jan 12 08:13:53 CET 2010

Hi,

When you have multiple instances of the same shapefile in the Table of
Contents how does gvSIG know which your are referencing with the
extensions or plug-ins?

I presume it would need to be as "ToC layer #1", "ToC layer #2", "ToC
layer #3" rather than referencing by name as the ToC allows you to add
multiple instances of the same shapefile.

I have had a lot of java heap errors since presenting multiple instances
of the same shapefile in the ToC and creating separate labeling and
symbology for each. I suspect that some subroutines don't explicitly
reference the ToC list but rather the file name if that is possible.
Crashes appear to centre around labeling and symbology issues. One wierd
thing I have noted is the propensity of the "other values" option keeps
reappearing even though I have it unchecked - particularly if I edit a
file. That is, "other values" will be unchecked but when I edit the
shapefile it reappears.

The question then is "Could the presence of multiple instances of the
same file in the ToC, each with differing labeling and symbology, cause
a memory leek?"
--

Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper