[Gvsig_english] HELP PLEASE - Does anyone know where I can get high resolution GIS data for use in tutorials?

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 00:48:00 CET 2010

Hi Simon,

I can't help with everything, but I'll make a couple of suggestions.

For road data, CloudMade produce shapefile exports from OpenStreetMap:
http://downloads.cloudmade.com/oceania/australia

OSM is pretty exciting in Oz at the moment as there's a lot of users
tracing data from some superb NearMap imagery.

For topographic data there's Nasa's SRTM: http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/

As an example, the very nice Summer in Kabul mapping was based on
those two sources:
http://developmentseed.org/blog/2009/nov/02/summer-kabul

Cheers, Joseph