[Gvsig_english] gvSIG 1.9 and font encoding issue: font encoding automatically changed?

Wolfgang Qual wolfgang.qual at muenchen.de
Thu Jan 14 17:03:14 CET 2010

Hi list,
I observed a very strange behaviour of gvSIG regarding font encoding. I
would say, this is a bug, but it is at least a problem for colleagues of
us who are still using ArcView 3.2:
What I did was the following:
0) start a new view in gvSIG, default font encoding is cp1252 (set in
preferences)
1) load an oracle spatial layer containing addresses, house numbers etc
2) export this layer to shp. Opened it in ArcView 3.2 and found no
problems (all german umlauts are displayed correctly:ä,ö,ü,ß)
3) started edit mode of the new shapefile, added some columns, performed
some string operations, saved the modifications
4) opened the modified shapefile in ArcView 3.2. Result: Umlauts
(ü,ö,ä,ß) are not displayed correctly
5) opened the modified shapefile in gvSIG again, looked at the table
properties in the project manager: font encoding of the table is UTF-8.

This is very strange, don't you think? ArcView 3.2 cannot handle UTF-8
encoded data...
Any comments, suggestions are more than welcome!

Best,
Wolfgang

--

	*Wolfgang Qual

* *Referat für Gesundheit und Umwelt*
Umweltschutz
Umweltvorsorge
RGU-UW 11

Bayerstraße 28a
80335 München

Telefon +49 - 89 - 233 - 4 77 17
Telefax +49 - 89 - 233 - 4 77 05

http://www.muenchen.de/umweltatlas
uw11.rgu at muenchen.de
Bitte beachten Sie die Hinweise zur elektronischen
Kommunikation mit der Landeshauptstadt München:
http://www.muenchen.de/ekomm