[Gvsig_english] FEEDBACK gvSIG 1.9 (BN 1253) -- use of gvSIG in production environment

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed Jan 20 16:02:37 CET 2010

Cèsar Ordiñana wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> I agree with you, a database is the way to go for that scenario.
>
> Just in case someone faces up with that problem, and wants to develop
> the file level locking support, I think it would be more
> feasible now,
> so don't hesitate to ask for guidelines.

I wonder if that certain scenario is easy to achieve with database either. Think that the same native data is opened independently into many views.  If the data is updated in one view and it is saved, then that layer should be immediately updated in the other windows. Otherwise user may start editing old data that is still visible in another window.  Somehow the file or database layer should be opened only once and then possibly cloned to other windows.

OpenJUMP does have a cloned windows option, but it is not very valuable for users because it is cloning just everything, also what layers are visible. If user turns a layer off from one window it is off from all windows.  What users would most often need is to see the data that are edited on top of different background maps (topographical mapa, aerial images, satellite images etc.) so that the data layer could be edited in any of the windows.

-Jukka Rahkonen-