[Gvsig_english] FEEDBACK gvSIG 1.9 (BN 1253) -- use of gvSIG in production environment

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Thu Jan 21 16:02:57 CET 2010

Hi Ben,

> ... and now I am starting to regret that there is no gvSIGWiki!

The Wiki, for gvSIG, would be really useful.
Wolfgang Qual and others proposed it in the past but, in the end, this suggestion has never been applied.
Luckily for us, gvSIG's development is proceeding so fast that any tutorial proposed becomes outdated in no time :-)

> Regarding PostGIS, I think the trouble for anyone writing a
>  tutorial on that is that it would also need to cover some
>  degree of the underlying PostgreSQL DBMS

Yes, I totally agree.
Unfortunately, I am not an expert of PostGIS.
I think gvSIG's tutorial should take for granted a basic knowledge of PostGIS.
Otherwise, as you explain, you are forced to write a book not a tutorial :-)
On the other hand, in this tutorial, you could suggest the users to download some PostGIS, free, Pdf guides.
For instance, the first, free, chapter of "PostGIS in Action": (http://www.manning.com/obe/PostGIS_MEAPCH01.pdf).
For anyone interested in PostGIS, it goes without saying that they could even buy the book :-)

I have suggested a tutorial about PostGIS because there are often questions on this mailing list about this topic :-)

Best regards,

Silvio