[Gvsig_english] FEEDBACK gvSIG 1.9 (BN 1253) -- use of gvSIG in production environment

Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Fri Jan 22 00:23:50 CET 2010

Hi All,

In regards to reusing tutorial content I will state the obvious.

With community wikis content usually ends up a collection of text from
all over the place.

Most if not all is not attributed to the original authors.

Although this is not unusual a tutorial by a particular person may be
considered more valuable, more authoritative or useful than others, and
some authors, and I must admit I fall into this category, like to have
their work attributed.

For most of my reports I tend to create documents that can be freely
distributed but avoid derivatives or use of the work commercially. The
avoiding of derivatives comes form the fact that I take the time to
carefully research what I release but the author of a derived work may
not take as much care. The avoiding of use of works for commercial
purposes stems from the fact that this is an open community effort and
people should not derive money from reselling community supplied content.

This generally falls into Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No
Derivative Works. What do others think about this?

A good example is Anna. She has contributed a manual for survey and gis
using gvSIG. Should this be sucked into a wiki then edited by all and
sundry, with no recognition to the original author? Personally I believe
her personal effort should be recognized for all the reasons mentioned
above.

Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper
Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd