[Gvsig_english] About community documentation space

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at prodevelop.es
Tue Jan 26 13:45:41 CET 2010

On 26/01/10 11:13, Antonio Falciano wrote:
> Il 25/01/2010 16.39, Mario Carrera ha scritto:
>> Hi all
>
> Hi Mario,
>
>> The gvSIG team have been discussing this morning about the best approach
>> to give you the most useful resources.
>>
>> The first option for us is to use our portal (http://www.gvsig.org). The
>> main plone instance is our first documentation resource and can not be
>> used as a community repository of documents.
>
> ok
>
>> By the way, we can create another plone instance with a fresh new
>> database and user management. On this new instance we can enable the
>> automatic registration process in order to let anyone willing to
>> collaborate to access with the appropriate role to start working on the
>> portal immediately.
>>
>> Plone, out of the box has a professional publication workflow, with
>> roles for editors, reviewers and so on that can be used on this
>> instance. This way, we can have some people, committed with the
>> initiative, reviewing and publishing documents, and others writing,
>> translating, or whatever.
>>
>> But, this solution is, of course, our recommendation. To implement it we
>> need some time and, as resources are expensive, we don't want to do
>> anything without more feedback from you, in order to assure that the
>> solution we implement is afterwards used. We don't want to force any
>> decision, and we prefer to involve you on this decision.
>>
>> Thus, we've decided to create an open working group at our portal, to
>> let you work for some time there. This working group will decide if we
>> go on with a new plone instance for community generated documentation or
>> is preferable to research another solutions.
>
> These ideas sound very interesting! I vote for this option.

I think this is the best approach to let anyone who never used a plone
CMS and reStructured Text to see how it works and why is different
from a wiki.

Well, at the official plone site there are really good guides for
novices[1] on this CMS and the restructured primer[2] and the quick
restructured text document[3] are my cheatsheets when I forget how to
write something.

If you're on a linux box, installing the python-docutils is the best
way to start playing with rst.

Cheers

[1] http://plone.org/documentation/topic/Basic+Use#beginner-manuals
[2] http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/rst/quickref.html