[Gvsig_english] gvSIG 3D: hardware requirement

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Wed Jan 27 23:06:01 CET 2010

Hello everybody,

I am reading the Spanish manual about the 3D extension [1].
I might be wrong but I didn't find in it any note about the hardware requirement for running it.
With "running" I mean not waiting too much for doing "simple" tasks as labellings a shp. In other words, working fast :-)

1. What is the minimal and, most of all, the best requirement about the Cpu?
More precisely, which one is the best Cpu to run it, a 32 or 64 bit?
I suppose a 64 bit Cpu but, maybe, I am wrong.
I don't know anything about Java :-)
2. How about the graphic card and the RAM Gb memory?

On the whole, I suppose, the more powerful is your computer, the more faster the 3D extension should be.
Unfortunately, this means a more expensive computer to buy, in the end :-)

To sum up, let's suppose a gvSIG user decide to buy a new computer.
In Italy, right now, the "standard" Pc would be, for him, something like that:
"Windows 7" Premium edition, 64 bit Cpu, 4 Gb Ddr 2 (or Ddr3), 512 Mb Ram.
Is this standard configuration fast enough for working  with the 3D extension?
For example, about speed, I might be wrong, but I suppose it would be more proficient to use a Linux configuration (e.g. no Anti-virus always running and so on).
I suppose, on Linux (e.g. Ubuntu 64 bit), with the same hardware, the 3D extension is faster?

Best regards,

Silvio

[1] http://www.gvsig.org/web/docusr/3d-extension-user-guide/gvsig_allFolderContentsOnOnePage_view