[Gvsig_english] COMMUNITY COLLABORATION ON DOCUMENTATION IN gvSIG 1.9 (BN 1253) -- trialling Plone (gvSIG) for community documentation

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at prodevelop.es
Fri Jan 29 18:29:03 CET 2010

On 29/01/10 14:53, Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have published some documents on the "Test Community Documents Zone"
> <https://gvsig.org/web/projects/contrib/community-doc/pub/test-docs> of
> the www.gvSIG.org website.
>
> Getting Sextante 0.5 to work with gvSIG Version 1.9 (BN 1253)
> <https://gvsig.org/web/projects/contrib/community-doc/pub/test-docs/getting-sextante-0-5-to-work-with-gvsig-version-1-9-bn-1253/>
>
> Freely available raster and vector data available on the Internet
> <https://gvsig.org/web/projects/contrib/community-doc/pub/test-docs/freely-available-raster-and-vector-data-available-on-the-in-internet/>
>
> People watching this mail list will have noted there has been a
> upwelling of enthusiasm to get some work started on creating some new
> English documentation and translating the core manual for 1.9 into
> Italian and English.
>
> Anyone interested should view this page and read how it is done and look
> at the results of a bit of effort by myself. Not bad for a first effort
> - lots of lists and links though.
>
> First, anyone out there interested in participating should contact the
> gvSIG team and let them know. The more that help the quicker the job
> will get done. Also no one person or group think alike -- different
> perspectives, ideas, workflows, tutorials and how-tos are needed. Try
> the system so when we make the choice of whether to go to Plone or a
> Wiki it is based on a understanding of the programs.
>
> If anyone is out there that is already registered on Plone. Please edit
> my Test Collaboration Page
> <https://gvsig.org/web/projects/contrib/community-doc/pub/test-docs/test-collaboration-document?portal_status_message=Changes%20saved.>.
> Only registered user will be able to see and edit the file. I want to
> test collaboration and merging of different versions by different
> people. Conversely, can someone create a document I can try and edit.
>
> **** MY IMPRESSIONS SO FAR ****
>
>    1. Plone is relatively intuitive, although it is a bit unclear at
>       times how the trial system has been setup. That said, I have found
>       Jorge Gaspar extremely helpful in clarifying how the system works.

I've posted this morning advances on the testing space. So anyone
willing to use the portal should take a fast look on it.

http://www.gvsig.org/web/projects/contrib/community-doc/pub/test-docs/irc-chat-about-how-plone-works

In fact is more or less a ultra-fast basic plone usage lesson with
some specific notes about the gvSIG portal.

>    2. The gvSIG Documentation Team uses reStructure Text (RST) to create
>       there documentation: not dissimilar to the standard markup text
>       you encounter on wikis and forums elsewhere.
>           * Apparently the reason for this is that it helps in
>             translating a document.

And is more semantic than HTML and more readable

>           * RST, although easy to learn, is unforgiving as the
>             punctuation/markup needs to be exact.

Yes, this is true.

>           * The Plone Editor allows you to save a file and render the
>             document. A bit slow but usable.

Again, it's true. I usually write my long documents on my text editor
(gedit) and when I'm happy with it I paste it on the portal to avoid
having to save to visualize if it's everything fine.

>           * Details exist on the "Test Community Documents Zone"
>             <https://gvsig.org/web/projects/contrib/community-doc/pub/test-docs>
>             on running gedit as a text editor with syntax formatting for
>             RST. I got this to work on Windows XP with a little effort.
>             Unfortunately gedit does not provide you with the ability to
>             render your code to see your result. I presume gedit is used
>             to create the initial drafts of documents.

gedit is just an editor, it can highlight typos, and some of the rst
syntax. To visualize if your document is well written I use rst2html
command line to render a local HTML document:

rst2html mydoc.rst > mydoc.html

There's also other rst2XXX commands to convert rst documents in other
formats.

>    3. What is needed is an editor that has syntax highlighting for RST
>       and can render the output to a HTML document. If anyone knows of
>       an editor that does this on Windows or Ubuntu I would be
>       interested to know.

Well, looking on google I've found this on-line editor[1]. There's, of
course, a lot of info about rst in wikipedia[2].

I've found also a blog post about how to install a desktop app on
Ubuntu that looks good[3] (use at your own risk).

Hope it helps.

[1] http://cometdemo.lshift.net:8080
[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReStructuredText#Dedicated_reStructuredText_Editors