[Gvsig_english] COMMUNITY COLLABORATION gvSIG 1.9 (BN 1253) -- reStructured Text Editors

Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Sat Jan 30 02:59:40 CET 2010

Hi,

Just a note on editors that can do syntax highlighting and rendering so
documentation can be partially prepared outside Plone. You can readily
find links to these editors on google so I won't clutter the email with
links.

In Windows XP...

    * *gEdit* can be downloaded for windows and made to show syntax for
      RST but the python plugin that allows the syntax highlighting to
      be changed and that will render the code to HTML does not work (as
      they have been compiled for Ubuntu not Windows).
    * *UliPad* can show syntax and render the output in real time. Not
      bad but you can confuse te HTML renderer easily. There is also
      little or not help in English or Spanish, the manual is in Chinese.
    * *Komodo* (free, proprietry software) is a good project management
      tool and has syntax highlighting for RST but can not render the
      file to HTML (from what I can tell). The program is also a memory
    * *SciTE* is also apparently able to syntax highlight and render but
      I have not been able to find clear instructions on how this can be
      setup.
    * *VIM* (and Cream) also allows syntax highlighting but was
      difficult to use.

In Ubuntu (none of these options have been checked)

    * *gEdit* seems to be the editor of choice. If you follow the
      instructions on the Community Test Page[1] you should get syntax
      highlighting and rendering.
    * *Enthought reStructureText Editor* has real time rendering.
    * *Ulipad* should also work on Ubuntu.

*My pick at the moment*, considering I am learning reStructured Text,
*Ulipad for Windows XP* (thanks to Antonio Falciano for the tip)

When I eventually move to *Ubuntu *I will probably work in *gEdit
*(although it does not have real time rendering, it also supports a
range of other languages that I work in).

*Bye-and-bye*, if you look at the comparable documentation solution,
WikiDot, it uses a more detailed markup language. See
http://www.wikidot.com/doc:wiki-syntax for details. I suspect that this
markup language would not be available in external editors. Meaning all
document creation and editing has to be done on the web or in a text
editor (but unable to be tested).

[1] https://gvsig.org/web/projects/contrib/community-doc
--

Cheers Simon