[Gvsig_english] QUESTION gvSIG 1.9 (BN 1253) -- Eclipse Setup on Ubuntu

Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Mon Jul 5 06:49:49 CEST 2010

Hi,

I know this is not really a forum for Eclipse questions but I am trying to get
this IDE operational so I can start developing java/python/jython tools for
use with gvSIG.

My question is relatively stupid but some of you may have resolved it. Is
anyone aware of how you can get Eclipse to install in some a directory other
than your home directory?

When I installed using synaptic it installed in ~/.eclipse. I am trying to
keep programs out of the home directory and would like to put the program in
some other directory - like /opt, which is used for the gvSIG OADE program.

My aspiration, and I am nearly there, is to only have personal files or
configuration files in my home directory. Company data files on separate
partitions and software in a separate locality. This way core configuration
files can be readily backup using packages like rsync.

It is worth noting hear that the standard install for gvSIG is in the home
directory. Ideally the program should be placed in a separate directory and
the configuration files put in ~/.gvsig, which appears to be standard in Ubuntu,
rather than the current format.

--

Cheers Simon
Simon Cropper