[Gvsig_english] Language trouble: alphanumeric

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Thu Jul 8 15:32:39 CEST 2010

----- Original Message -----
> [Gvsig_english] Language trouble: alphanumeric
>
> > I am curious about the word "alphanumeric",
> > which is often used by Spanish, Italian, French,
> > etc. speakers when they talk about GIS in English.
>
> Very funny. I cannot think of a more Latin expression than
> "alphanumeric data".

Except that Alpha is not Latin ;)

> This proves English is also a Latin-based
> language unless you are swearing or talking with a peasant.

Well, it's about 50% Germanic, 50% Latin in terms of vocabulary.
They do have words like "fish", "river", "cat", "house", etc. and
they are not always used by swearing peasants.

You are right, though: the famous f*** word is definitely of
Germanic origin -- and originally used to describe fast and
nervous movement. It is still used in that meaning by some
rural Germans and always sure to raise a smile from the urban
population.

> What do Germans mean when they say "alphanumeric data" ?

"numbers and strings"

> I don't think "geographical alphanumeric data" or "spatial
> alphanumeric data" are very common, because they are confusing. Can
> you provide a link to a relevant text where they appear?

I could swear I came across it before, but can't find the link
for the life of me. Maybe I misread something...

But thanks for all your input, folks. I am convinced now that
when you all say "alphanumeric", you mean in fact "alphanumeric".

That's a relieve!

Ben