[Gvsig_english] Little internet miracles we surely do not deserve

Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio juan_lucas_dr at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 20 00:20:15 CEST 2010

Dear list,

I have incidentally found these two nice things that might interest the gvSIG community:

(1) A huge shapefile with all the municipalities of France (+30,000 polygons), and their names and population. Very accurate, a vertex every few meters. About 7 million edges in one SHP file:

http://sandre.eaufrance.fr/ftp/incoming/ONEMA/ADCO_France/

(EPSG:2154, I think)

(2) NTv2 grid files to transform from/to the OSGB36 and ETRS89 datums (United Kingdom):

http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2006-November/002658.html

I'm almost sure those grids have been derived by intensively querying Ordnance Survey's conversion service:

http://gps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/etrs89geo_natgrid.asp

Have not tested, but I also believe that the accuracy of that grid is not significantly worse than that of the web service itself, so that gives you an error below 10 cm (if I understood it well) for the whole country.

Regards,

Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio
http://gvsigmobileonopenmoko.wordpress.com
http://tellusproject.blogspot.com