[Gvsig_english] SVG symbol bug/issue (SVG attached)

Rory Hill roryhill at jerseymail.co.uk
Sat Mar 13 00:53:23 CET 2010

Hi all,

I think I have found a little bug - or if not a bug just an issue to be
aware of - when using SVG files as picture symbols. Basically, gvSIG
doesn't like SVG files with text in - the flowRoot element of the code
gives an error message as follows:

org.w3c.dom.DOMException: The current document is unable to create an
element of the requested type (namespace: http://www.w3.org/2000/svg,
name: flowRoot).

I have had success with the same SVG file just with the text removed.

I am playing with some statistical mapping and tried to include some
numerical labels in SVG symbols (such as the one attached) but I get
that error above - so I guess the alternative is to do the labelling
within gvSIG itself or within another program post-production.

Just thought you might like to know, if this hasn't already been reported.

All the best,

Rory. :)