[Gvsig_english] QUESTION gvSIG 1.9 (BN 1253) -- Future of gvSIG and Sextante

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Fri Mar 26 04:22:56 CET 2010

Hi,

A recent post by Victor outlined the roadmap for Sextante.

In it he indicated he intended to make Sextante into a library and allow
various developers to assimilate this library into their projects,
rather than maintain a plug-in system which requires constant rejigging
to ensure the bindings work.

Surprisingly, despite Victor pointing everyone to OADE 2010, the
developers of gvSIG (core project) were not goaded into a response.

So I am asking... What is the position of the gvSIG Developers regarding
Sextante (you have had enough time to talk about this)? Are you planning
to incorporate the upcoming library into gvSIG or will you let this
plug-in languish? I suppose the question is also relevant for the next
version of OADE.

I think this is an important question as Sextante elevates gvSIG into a
product that can be used in a production environment; without it gvSIG
lacks important basic functionality.

And at a personal level, I am in the final stages of preparing my
templates for my how-to manuals -- should I be writing my documentation
for OADE 2010 (which incorporates Sextante) or gvSIG+Sextante or if the
use of Sextante is uncertain, other upcoming packages? I am also on
record stating that gvSIG+Sextante is the first FOSS GIS that I could
use in a production environment. There is also an upcoming paper in
OSGeo Journal to that elk. So, will these statements hold true in the
future or will the gvSIG product fall back to just the core modules?

--

Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper
Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd