[Gvsig_english] QUESTION gvSIG 1.9 (BN 1253) -- Future of gvSIG and Sextante

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Sat Mar 27 03:48:42 CET 2010

Fran & others,

Thank you for your response.

I think it important that you understand where I am coming from.

My contention is that gvSIG lacks certain basic functionality that
Sextante provides. Together these products form a program that rivals
ArcView.

I am on record stating this and have spent time preparing an article for
publishing in OSGeo Journal.

Despite this beneficial marriage, in the time I have been involved in
the community, the two projects have only been in sync for a short
period of time. Over the last few months users have to go through quite
a bit of effort to get Sextante and gvSIG to talk happily together. As
you would know I have tried to help others by putting out short
tutorials for others to use. despite this it is quite frustrating for me
and I a sure others.

My frustration stems from the desire to contribute more to the community
effort but finding it's is a bit like shooting at a moving target. It is
very difficult to establish how to address development of documentation
when the current version is considered 'dead' and to be replaced
sometime in the immediate future..

Apart from a roadmap is it possible to have list of functions that are
considered stable and unlikely to change, and those that are under
active development, unstable or likely to change? This will allow
documentation for 'stable' functions to be flagged as reausable in new
versions and help authors to focus their attention on areas that have
been modified.

Cheers Simon

        Simon Cropper
        Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd